- Take Action
- Learn More
- Sources of Shoreline Litter
- Impacts of Shoreline Litter
- Educational Activities
- Other Resources
Looking for more information on shoreline litter or other ways to help out? We’ve compiled a list of organizations and articles that can help.
Shoreline Litter and Marine Debris
Ocean and Waterway Activities
- Derelict Fishing Gear, from the Sea Doc Society
Smoking Related Activities
- Cigarette Butt Litter
- The Environmental Impact of Cigarette Butt Waste: Just the Facts
- Cigarette butts toxic to fish, say researchers, CBC News (Nov 20, 2009)
- Cigarette butts toxic to fish, Discovery News (Nov 19, 2009)
- Cigarettes Butts and the Case for an Environmental Policy on Hazardous Cigarette Waste, Novotny, Lum et al. (May 20, 2009)
- Cigarette butts toxic to marine life, SDSU News (May 1, 2009)
- Bird with cigarette “caused fire,” BBC News (Apr 21, 2009)
- Kicking butts, Chicago Tribune (Jun 18, 2008)
- Cigarette Butts as Litter - Toxic as well as ugly? CigaretteLitter.org (Aug 2000)
- Algalita Marine Research Foundation
- 5 Gyres: Understanding Plastic Marine Pollution…
- Global Garbage
- Ocean Conservancy: Start a Sea Change
- Marine Debris in BC Coastal Waters, Raincoast Conservation Foundation
Other Shoreline Cleanup Programs
Everyday Actions to Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
- No Impact Man - A blog by Colin Beavan about what each of us can do to end our environmental crisis.
- My Plastic-Free Life - Think we can’t live without plastic? Think again. In 2007, Beth Terry committed to stop buying any new plastic and has almost succeeded!
- Citizen Green - Sharing ways to reduce consumption of plastic with friends.
- Everyday Trash - A closer look at what we throw away.
Fun Things (videos, games, interesting information)
, from the UK Marine Special Areas of Conservation Project , from the UK Marine Special Areas of Conservation Project